Saturday, January 19, 2008

My First Eye Exam...


It wasn't really painful. Not even uncomfortable, for the most part. But I've been notified that I can get glasses if I want them. But that it was up to me.

I think I'm going to do it.

I have wanted glasses for years. All the smart people I know wear glasses. And mine won't even stay on all the time. Only when driving. Or teaching. Or sitting. Or breathing. Not really. I just have a hard time focusing on things when it is later in the evening and writing is far away. Reading books doesn't present a problem. Just seeing small writing on TV or scoreboards, etc. So, I went and had the optics checked. The Dr. said things weren't so bad at all. Just a small astigmatism.

The problem was that I had a basketball game to announce that night, after the appointment. The doc put those drops in my eyes that make them numb so he can press on them with some instrument. Then he put the drops in that dilate my pupils so he can see into my brain (or something like that). It took awhile, but the drops took effect. Light from every source hit my optic nerve like a high powered lasers. I pulled my iPhone out to check the time and squinted out "4:58 pm" on the screen. I was late for the game (I do the stats for the JV game).

Stumbling out into the blinding light I started my car, slipped my sunglasses on, and felt my way to the basketball arena. My eyes could not focus on anything, especially anything that was within about two feet. It made keeping the stats a little tough. So, I just guessed, wrote down numbers, nodded my head a lot, and some how the home team won. I can't recall the score...I never really saw it in the first place...

0 comments: