Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"I think I'm gonna be sick..."

Let the following post serve as a WARNING to the rest of you. If you are reading this post (the 3 of you who still follow...) you are obviously geeky enough to use a computer and so you probably also keep files on your own computer. Stuff like pictures, movies, music, blah, blah...If this describes you -- listen up...

Yesterday my hard drive crashed (crashed, burned, broke, got hashed, whatever you'd like to call it) and with the death of my hard drive went every singe picture I have taken since December of 2007. Yes...every client photo-shoot, and every single picture I've taken of my wife and children. Not only those, but audio "interviews" I've done with my children, papers my children have written for school, my entire iTunes library. All of it. Gone.

Here is the news that stinks the most. I didn't back anything up. Ok, I did back up a few things. I backed up all of the pictures I took prior to November 2007 (a total of about 8000 images) which sounds pretty decent, but I've taken a ton of images in 2008. And edited many of them.

I feel sick about this...sick.

Now...there is a possibility of recovering some or all of this data. It will cost a minimum of $300 but probably more around the $500 to $800 mark. I hate that, but am willing to pay it.

Here's the lesson: Back up your data. That means put what you care about on an external hard drive. Do it regularly. The last time I backed up my data was November 2007. My external hard drive sits in my computer desk area and I think about backing things up all the time. If I had backed up my data weekly, I wouldn't have any problem. I'd pay $80 to have a new hard drive installed and I'd re-load all of my data and would have no problem.

So, there. Happy New Year...

10 comments:

AmberLee said...

Oh, bummer. That really stinks. We had the same thing happen to us, which inspired Adam to get an external hard drive to back everything up onto. Hope you can get all the info back...

Marble Quarry said...

That super sucks! I just backed up all my stuff. Look around, I bet you can find someone to recover it for cheaper. Maybe try Josh Buchanan, you might of had him in Seminary, he's amazing, has a degree but just does that type of stuff for fun so he doesn't charge much. Good Luck!

Jamie Kent said...

I put everything on my external hard drive and my external drive crashed last year, so I know that sick feeling! I am so sorry! I think I am going to back my stuff up in various different ways. I lost all my pictures, scrapbook pages and graphics I had bought! It sucks!

Marti Walker said...

Hey Brian.. just another heads up about the external hard drive. You also need to back up your files on CD or DVD. My external hard drive crashed and I lost EVERYTHING back in August!! I had moved everything to my hard drive to free up space on my computers. Even though I thought I was being a good little girl and backing up my files but I lost everything. Good luck! If you need therapy, try some chocolate! :)

alison said...

That really stinks! Sorry to hear about it. I guess it would be worth paying the money but it's money you could spend elsewhere. Hope this is the only bummer of 2009.

Julie said...

Wow, I am so sorry. I agree with you though. If I had that many quality images lost, I'd have to spend the money to get them back.

Still cheaper than therapy.

rickynkim said...

Oh man! That really stinks! I don't think we have anything backed up. I will get Ricky on that right away! Sorry about your loss! :(

Dominique said...

that is the saddest thing i've ever heard. where do we get an external hard drive? apple store?

Tiffany Joy said...

What a way to start out the new year...

belle la vie- Kristen Archer said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. That's so sad!