Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'm finished vomitting...

I hope that is how you spell "vomitting". I'm not sure it is a word that I've used that often, so I'm not sure of the spelling. Anyhow...

I'm better now. I'm not fine with the whole hard-drive debacle, but I'll live. I did have a new hard-drive installed and I am studying up on the best ways to back up my "stuff". Just remember, moving your data from your hard drive to another drive isn't technically backing anything up. That's just moving the data. Your data needs to be in at least two places at the same time...

I did find this picture on my camera, along with a few others. I just edited this a few minutes ago. Hopefully I'll get all of 2008's images back in the next few weeks.




Also, here is a little secret something I'm working on for a family. They don't know about it (unless they follow this blog) and it isn't really a big deal, but I'm excited to do it...




2 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

Here's how I back up my images. I have a folder for each of my kids and one for Tyler and I. Then I put the images into their folders. You can put them all there by chronological order or you can do what I do and make a folder for each event. Then I label folder 2008-12-25-Christmas. A date and name to help me find things easier. Then I put burn as many folders as possible onto a DVD and put them in a CD binder that hold 4 per side (thank you Staples). I label the DVD with a permanent archival safe pen- I don't use sticky labels - they are not archival safe and they do make the disc skip. For Clients, as soon as I put their images on my computer I make a backup disc. Then I check said disc and then I put that in my giant disc folder alphabetically. When I am done with orders and retouching I burn another disc. Client Name, Date, and FINAL written on disc. Then I put that disc next to the other one in the binder. I encourage clients to buy the disc with their images for safe keeping purposes. For my family after I finish the year of scrapbooking I make a copy onto discs and give one to my mom and one to my inlaws. They enjoy the photos and I have a backup incase my house burns down or floods or something huge like that. For each kid I make a Favorites folder and put my favorite images on that one. Then scrapbooking and 4x6 photo albums are a breeze. I just finished making sure I put all the images in the right folders yesterday. Tomorrow after I finish the client orders and retouching from yesterday, I will scrapbook last year. I am planning on 24- 48 pages and then I'll print 3 copies at Shutterfly - one for us and one for each kid. And that reminds me, I need to send you those family history pages I made and I need to make copies on disc for my inlaws! and so I am going to get back to work...

Amber said...

What gorgous photos!! Too bad you don't live closer, I'm always looking for a good photographer for family photos...kids can be tough