Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Difference Editing Can Make...

I've been trying to figure out more photo-editing "stuff" so I am posting a "before-and-after" of Mads...Click on each picture for an up-close and personal view (better detail).

I'm not convinced that the second one is better, but at least it is different:




Ok, back to the restricted-blog topic. I'm not done with this one yet. After some studying and soul-searching, research and meditation, I've decided that a person's decision to restrict their blog probably depends on their goal for starting the blog. For instance, if you, like me, have a blog as a way to connect with people and you hope that you connect or re-connect with new people on a regular basis, then your blog shouldn't be restricted, but you shouldn't be overly personal on it either. If you want to send personal info about you and your family, then email it.

If you are keeping a journal-like blog, with details that could "give you away" then you should restrict your blog and you know exactly who is seeing what.

Or, you could have two blogs; one of each type. More fun for everyone.

Here's the other thing, and maybe this is my problem. I use Google Reader to keep track of the blogs I check regularly. It shows me my list and lets me know when one of the blogs has been updated. Such a sweet spp! But it doesn't work with restricted blogs (as far as I can tell) so I find myself not checking some of the restricted blogs as often. So, I'm selfish. And now I know that. But Google Reader is too awesome to stop using and it saves me a ton of time. You ought to sign up and use it. It'll add like 4 years to your life.

I'm still working on scanning the me-in-a-mullet-picture-from-1990 as promised. There isn't a Photoshopping program in the world that can undo the damage that the 1980's did to me. And the picture will be proof enough. Do you know how many year's worth of students have begged to see this picture???

11 comments:

KJ said...

I see the differences and think they both look great, but all of your photos are AWESOME so that doesn't surprise me.

No comment on the private blog thing because I turned mine private (sorry about that), but I did send you an invite to our blog tonight.

Keep up with the fun photos. Your family is so neat.

Katie

Jaci said...

I like the edited one a lot. Her eyes are deep and crystal clear.-- Wow!
What did you do to it? did you once say that you use Elements?

Happy Sunday!

Tabbi said...

Brother Mick,
I graduated from USU last year and moved to Washington DC. I was at the Aggie bball game when I was home for Christmas. How are you doing? How is Tremonton? How old is little Landon now?

Tiffany Joy said...

I think you hit the nail on the head about private blogs. I've really been thinking a lot about this because the reason I set up a blog WAS to keep in touch with people. I've been very careful to not be personal.. no last name, no place where we live, etc., and I love finding other people. I think there are ways around being private. (ie: don't click on a comment that you don't recognize the name) I also keep it as our family journal, but not too detailed. It has been a lot less fun for me now that I am private, and since a lot of other people have gone private I cannot blog stalk them. Oh well... anyway, the two blog thing is a good idea. in fact, why not have 6 like me? And.. How excited am I about Google Reader??

Becca Lund said...

I am a novice to Photoshop -- I wish there was someone (hint hint, maybe that could be you) that could teach me the ropes!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bishop, back on board with the blog thing. Thought it was much easier then sending out a million emails... about day to day thinking and events. Hope all is well love the picture. You do such a great job in all you do!
Take care
Crystal

Joell said...

I do have to agree that the second one does make her face and eyes look prettier, But I'm all about time and if it takes forever than i say the first one is just great! Which brings me to the other time saver tip about google reader thanks for the tip I'll have to check it out! I need to get my little family's picture taken sometime, maybe we could talk!

The Valentine Fam said...

Finally a person of reason...

Maybe I should worry more about who reads my blog, but I don't. I do check every once in awhile the thing that tells me who's reading the blog.

I like her little eyes and face in the second picture. So cute!

Mindy said...

I can surely scan that mullet picture as soon as you need me to.

Maddy's adorable in both, but best in person.

TP said...

LOVE Google Reader!!! Thanks for the tip. I truly save time not having to check every blog now to see if there have been updates. THANKS!

Christensen Family said...

Hey Bro. Mick. Wow! It's been a long time. I think you are right about the blog and restriction topic. My blog is one of those journal-like blogs that might give us away. And I'm probably overly paranoid. I usually am. Anyway if you would like to check mine out send me your email to hollichristensen@gmail.com. Sorry I know that it is annoying to do so. Your kids are just growing up. I didn't know you were a photographer. Very good pics.
Holli (Lewis) Christensen