Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Apparently, I'm Dainty...

I just had one of those moments that, every time I think about it, I get shivers of embarrassment. Dang-it! Here's what happened:

There's this guy who is an assistant coach on Landon's baseball team. So we're both assistant coaches. Great. The guy, we'll call him Steve, is about as intimidating looking as you can be. His head is shaved, he has a tatoo, his goatee is four inches long, his ears are pierced. Steve really, really looks like he should be driving a huge Harley to every game (maybe he has one, I don't know...).

But the thing is- he's as nice a guy as you'd want coaching your son. He is very positive with the kids, he doesn't show any favoritism, and he takes a lot of time to teach the basics of baseball. Very likable guy. But he looks really, really, really tough. He doesn't just look tough; I'm sure he is tough. But nice, too.

So, after the game (which we won, by the way...) my family is walking to our vehicles, and Steve is walking with us. All of the sudden he puts his hand up, like he is either going to slap my five, or shake my hand. But, it isn't going to be a normal handshake. It is going to be one of those handshakes you do if you are naturally tough. The guys in the picture belowe are doing it (I think). Maybe they're arm-wrestling, but this is the basic idea:



Typically, this handshake is used by people playing sports, or people in gangs, or people who are confidant. The handshake is sometimes followed up by bumping knuckles. I'm sure this is what Steve was doing, because he is the type of person who should do it. And I've always thought I was, too. Until now.

I think the handshake caught my off guard. So, rather than smack my hand up against his and do that one-squeeze-and-one-shake-let-go-then-bump-knuckles thing, I barely got my hand into position. In fact, I really didn't get my hand into position. So instead of having an equally balanced, man-handshake, I placed my small, soft, dainty hand in a lady-like position as if Steve was helping me out of my horse-drawn carriage so I wouldn't trip over my long, velvet dress. It looked a lot like this:



And this...



What made matters worse was that my wife saw, my children probably saw, and Steve looked at me like I expected him to bow, say, "m'Lady" and kiss my pasty-white, smallish, un-caloused hand. I couldn't fix it. I tried. The handshake was over.

Luckliy he didn't say anything, but man do I wonder what he was thinking. Or is thinking. Every time I picture my little hand in the upright, lady-like, please-help-my-so-I-don't-stumble-out-of-my-carriage-and-tear-my-corset position I want to puke.

How can I go to practice tomorrow?

10 comments:

alison said...

Just wear a dress and a little lip gloss and you'll be fine.

Sherri Madson said...

I don't generally leave comments.....but I had to tell you that I am sitting here laughing uproariously! You are so funny!

TiffaniS said...

Oh Brian! I am laughing so hard! Don't you just HATE those awkward moments?! It's like thinking someone is coming in for a hug and you think they are wanting a kiss STRESS! Anyway, too funny. So, our dainty friend, have a good day!

Jamie Kent said...

When things like this happen to me... I keep them to myself. You are very brave to blog this! That is sooo funny!

Andy said...

Ha Ha, I am so glad I am not the only one that stuff like that happens too. Thanks for sharing, thats good stuff.

jeffylou said...

Option one-Casually mention how you are fixing up your "Hog" and you can't wait to get that snake tattoo. Option two- is some kind of Gone with the wind attire. Option three- ask if he hires out for body guard duty.

Jazzy said...

...I'm still laughing. But really, these sort of awkward moments happen to everyone.

Jaci said...

maybe you should try weight lifting. :)
that is the funniest soccer-dad story I've heard yet!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I am reading this not able to control my laughter! Nate is rolling on the floor! I really like "Steve" also but he is quite intimidating! This post couldn't be more appropriate. We've all been there and done that in one way or another.

The Birds said...

So GREAT!!! Thanks for making me laugh!!
~Chandi