Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Is there such thing as a Conference hangover?


As my SIL so aptly described, conference was awesome this last weekend. I got to work on Monday and told the guy I work with that I thought this was the best conference ever. He said, "You say that every six months." Ya, I probably do. They get better every six months!

But, and herein lies the problem, I feel so gross right now. I start looking forward to conference months ahead of October. I start planning what I'll eat weeks prior to the event. We gather the ingredients we'll need days before. By the time conference starts I'm on the couch ramming nachos, Seven-layer dip, tater-tots, and french-toast with bacon into my mouth at such an unhealthy rate that I can literally feel my heart laboring under the pressure of shoving my blood through my now-too-closed-off arteries. My stomach expands to accept the double-portion. My knees buckle when I pull myself off of the couch. The buttons on my shirt hold on for dear life. While wrestling with my children, I nearly crush them like an elephant.

It isn't pretty. At all.

But, it feels pretty good. And, I love listening to the talks and discussing them with Janese and the children. So, it is a great weekend.

Then Monday comes. It isn't so much that I feel horrible. I just feel a little gross all over. My muscles ache. My head spins a bit. My stomach feels full all day whether I eat anything else or not. I can't enjoy food. And it last for days. Up to a week. Ugh...I'm not looking forward to the rest of this week.

So, though this was the best conference yet (this time I'm sure of it) I feel gross.

With that said, I loved conference.
The Elder Wirthlin Elder Nelson moment.
The "SHOWER, SHOWER, SHOWER" talk.
Every word Sister Beck shared.
Every word Elder Holland shared.
The calling of Pres. Eyring and Elder Cook.
Elder Hallstrom's Priesthood Session talk.
"Good, better, best".

And there was so much more. That is why I'm excited for conference to be posted on the church's website. I'll download the talks in MP3 form and print a few off to mark. Then the November Ensign will come. Janese and I will both have our own copy so that we can study and mark each talk. I noticed that Pres. Hinckley challenged us, again, to use the conference talks in FHE. So we're going to make a more concerted effort in our home to do that. I'm excited.

Even though I still feel so full I might fast for the next three days.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm craving nachos all of the sudden. You would think I'd just be grossed out right now.

Don't get me wrong. You gross me out, plenty.

Nachos just always sound good.

Jazzy said...

Bro. Mick!
How are you!? Thanks for the post, it was good to hear from you. I must say I agree wholeheartedly with you about Gen Conference... minus the whole food thing :D

FYI...If I still lived close, I would totally hire you for our family pictures.

Brian said...

Jazzy...you're nice! Thanks for the compliment. I'll be checking in on your family often! :)