Friday, October 12, 2007

A little TECH help please...

Here is my problem, desribed completely and perfectly in one, well-crafted sentence:

I am sick of using a stylus.

There. I said it. Not only am I sick of using a stylus (and won't, ever again) but I lost mine. So, when I am sitting in a meeting trying to input some notes into my little Palm device, I use a pen cap. Lame, I know.

So...I have a decision to make. Rather than simply go buy something that looks cool (which is what I usually do) I am trying to make this complicated by weighing all of the options.

PROBLEM: I need a PDA, cell-phone, MP3 player, paired down to one or two items (I'm not carrying three devices).

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS: First off, here is what I'm NOT doing. I'm not getting a Palm-anything. Not the Treo. No Palm stuff. Don't ask me why. We'll get into this big debate about it and everything all boils down to me listing a bunch of reasons why Microsoft is making it easier for the aliens to take over our planet. I realize that Palm isn't owned by Bill Gates, but there are a bunch of connections...

Here are the most likely options:


ONE: I'll but an iPhone. I'd have to switch to ATT. But iPhones are cool. They don't have a to-do list that syncs with iCal (for some reason) and that is a problem. I could maybe use Google Calendar (which would be nice...no syncing at all). iPhones are expensive, they have a pretty small harddrive, but they are pretty cool, too. I like them.



TWO: Blackberry Curve or the Blackberry 8800 phone. I don't really need to have email capabilities from the PDA like BB's are famous for, but it would be nice I guess. Their data plans aren't cheap (the iPhone's is only $20/mo). I like both Blackberries quite a bit (but now I'm tired of typing...)

So, here is what I'm asking for. Will you ask all of the people you know who have either/any of these devices and get opinions and then post those thoughts? And quickly?

6 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

Tyler loves his iPhone! He can schedule apppointments while talking with someone on the phone. He has several movies, tons of photos, lots of info and still has room left over. Give him a call. He can tell you all about it!

Jaci said...

I know hardly anything about the pros and cons of these devices, but heck yes the iphone is cool! So you should choose that one.
Hope you take the educated opinion of mine. ;)

Tiffany Joy said...

why don't you go back to pioneer days
PDA:
use a pen and paper to take notes in a meeting. And don't tell me you are one of those people who get up in church and read a scripture out of their palm pilot (just kidding you can be) (but I won't be your friend) (just kidding again)

Cell-phone
yes you need a cell phone. i have to admit cell phones are a must. I mean seriously what if you had an emergency? or something very cool to tell Janese?

MP3 player
Why do you think you learned all of those primary songs when you were younger? to sing to yourself in your head

So there you go..
pen and paper
hum a little hymn
cell phone
I love my cell phone. It is a samsung something that opens two ways. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Living in DC, you learn to love Blackberry. Or "Crackberry" as everyone calls them there because you get so addicted. I loved mine for email and calendar, but I didn't love it as a phone. I could never get mine to turn up loud enough. They probably have better versions now though. I also had AT&T and I got horrible reception in DC. But, if i could get a verizon BB and could have someone to pay for my data plan, I'd do it. Blackberries are kind of big though, my old boss used to always say that he felt like he was holding a cheese sandwich up to his face. So practice with a sandwich before you go out and buy one.

Brian said...

Harmony,

That is so weird because I currently carry a PB&J in my pocket, day in a day out. So weird. I think I just need to adjust the innards of the sandwich and I'll be well on my way.

I'm still deciding...thanks to everyone who is shoveling info my way!

The Valentine Fam said...

I don't know much about the phones, but Jed's mom has the Blackberry. The GPS system in it was cool...it led us all the way to Mexico and back with only one wrong turn! If you have a tendency to get lost...maybe you should consider it!